Now it has been officially 1 year since I went on Pappa Leave. Crazy how much the time has flown and what I have seen while taking this time to be with my son. A few things I have learned:
- I never knew it was possible to love someone as much as I love him. I love my wife immensely, but it is a different kind of love that I experience with the little guy that is ours.
- Things are usually simple until we complicate them. The little guys needs on the basic level must always be met – food, rest, security, comfort, and so on. If we miss those we will have speed bumps. Cover them always and you have a happy little guy.
- Appreciate each phase, they all pass quickly
- Don’t worry about the harder phases, they also pass quickly
- Being at home with your child is both the most difficult job and the most fun job all at the same time
- It is easy to forget about your needs, but sometimes it is what is best
- A full night of sleep is a treasure
- A toddler waking up with a smile on their face, laughing, is a great way to start the day
- Hugs and kisses from a loving little one are priceless
- Having a child teaches you to have perspective and keep perspective
- Watching the development of your child is amazing
- Kids are surprisingly perceptive of moods of others
- We are lucky to have a healthy child and it is easy to take that for granted
There are so many other things I could write but I will stop there. The journey thus far has been interesting and challenging in so many ways, but the awesome part of it all is how connected and in sync I am with the little guy. Nothing could be cooler.